Monday, March 29, 2010

"God Is Not Great"

For the next set of posts, I'm going to be writing in response to God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchins. This may seem a little different for a theology blog, but I've been wanting to read a book from one of the recent evangelists of atheism. I wanted to read partly because of curiosity of what they had to say about religion, but also because they are offering a theological perspective, even if it is an anti-theology.

I refused to read one of Richard Dawkins' books, because in interviews I heard of him, I found him arrogant and rude, and I didn't want to be goaded into anger. After listening (I'm hearing the audio book) to Hitchins for a couple chapters, I find his arguments to be reasonable, plausible, and, most of all, polite. He is not there to mock believers, but to explain why he feels that religion is backward and even hazardous to humanity as a whole.

I am happy to interact with this book, and I hope that I can express my retort in as politely and firmly as he.

No comments:

Post a Comment