Friday, January 8, 2010

The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer

I decided that I should read and write a book on Theology Proper-- the study of God Himself. His nature, His character, etc. There are a number of books I could have read: The Existence and Attributes of God by Stephen Charnock, Christian Theology by Millard Erickson, or the Dogmatics by Karl Barth. I looked for The Institutes by John Calvin, but couldn't find it on the shelf at the library. After getting home, I looked on my own shelf and found The Knowledge of the Holy by A. W. Tozer. Then I knew I had found the right book.

First of all, it's a slim book, unlike, say, Barth's Dogmatics. So I'll be able to get through it relatively quickly. Secondly, it covers briefly all the main points of orthodox knowledge about God-- the Trinity, and all the basic attributes of God. Also, Tozer has wonderful prose-- I have always loved his writing and at times have wanted to copy it. I also wished I could have visited his church one Sunday in his crowded facility and listened to him rail on the state of the church-- also one of my favorite subjects.

This is not to say that I agree with Tozer all the time. He goes too far in his judgments, even of the church. And, as you shall see, I certainly don't agree with Tozer in his theology all the time. But I still think that this is one of the most worthwhile books on God ever. Even when he's wrong, Tozer still gets the basics right.

Find this book. You should be able to get it in the library. Follow along with me. I'm probably going to post a chapter a day, although I have a lot to say on his five page chapters. It's dense stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment