Wednesday, January 26, 2011

How To Be A Saint by Jack Bernard



I love this book. Honestly, How To Be A Saint is my favorite book on Christian spirituality. This isn't a perfect representation of my philosophy of the spiritual life, but it is really, really close. I'll be writing about this, off and on.

Jack Bernard was the founder of Church of the Sojourners in San Francisco, and he died in 2002. Check out their blog at this link. The best recommendation for this book is by Jon Stock: "Jack Bernard we the real deal, a radical Christian who walked the talk." And this one by Mark Scandrette: "His transparent and intelligent words on how to become a saint have the added weight of Jack's life. He lived the pages of this book." This book is born out of Jack's experience, not out of ideals he might have had, but didn't practice. This doesn't make the book more representative of God, but it does make it possible, practicable, and true to life.

This doesn't stop my work on Mere Christianity. But I've been having trouble having the book with me when I need it to write. So, if I don't have Lewis in my pocket, perhaps I'll post on Bernard.

By the way, my wife thinks its funny that "Bernard" wrote a book about sainthood. St. Bernard. You know.

No comments:

Post a Comment